Heartache2Hope offers support to suicide loss grievers in Halton and surrounding communities. Flavia Ceschin, who recognized the unique needs of individuals grieving a suicide death and the lack of community-based supportive resources, founded Heartache2Hope in 2014. A group of dedicated volunteers, including Peggy McGillicuddy, Nina Menrai and Bev Wilson, helped Heartache2Hope officially open its doors in August 2014.
Our goals are to break the isolation of suicide loss grievers, to meet their special needs in healing from this loss, and to offer education that increases public awareness and understanding of suicide loss. Professionals who are trained in traumatic bereavement associated with suicide loss lead the supportive and educational programming with the help of specially trained volunteers.
It has now been almost 6 years that we have been actively supporting suicide loss grievers and improving our program.
During this time
- More than 650 individuals have accessed our supportive services
- More than 160 individuals have participated in our 12-week Closed Support Groups
- Attendance in our Open Groups exceeds 550;
- We have provided over 870 hours of Individual Grief/Counselling Support;
- We have provided 3 trainings for Halton Victim Services Volunteers,
- Numerous community educational seminars
- 3 Annual International Survivor of Suicide Loss Day Events
- Our volunteers have generously donated more than 7500 hours of their time
We have accomplished all this as a predominantly volunteer-run organization. Our future goals include expansion of supportive services and building our infrastructure to continue meeting the ever-growing need for our services. Our long-term dream is to create a Centre for Traumatic Loss Healing.
Some Heartache2Hope Highlights include:
<! ========= Cool Timeline Free 2.5 =========>
Trauma Counselling Funding
Recipient of funding
First Hamilton-area Closed Support Group
First Group of Peer Supporters are Trained
Pilot Closed Support Group
Granted Charitable Status
Awarded a Grant
Twice Monthly Open Group
Launched our website